Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A Life History of Emily Judd




An attempt to write a brief sketch of the life of Emily Judd who became the wife of Francis Henrie, and the mother of eleven children of this union. (Written by , said, Francis Henrie, January, 30, 1960).
Emily Judd as an infant (far right)
                Emily Judd, was the third child of Richard Judd and Phoebe Melinda Sevy, and was born in Panguitch, Utah, June 23, 1888.  She was dark complected with very dark hair and large black clear shining eyes, which later, became the envy of her older sister Alice.  While I was courting Emily (or Emmer as she was called after one of her Grandmother’s names) Alice told us of many of the times when she (Alice) would get very jealous of Emmer, when women who visited their mother would make remarks about Emmer’s big beautiful black poppy eyes, but would very seldom say anything about Alice’s beautiful eyes.  Of the events of Emmer’s childhood days while she was growing up and before she reached the age of 16 years (when I first met her at a party) I never learned very much as she herself was very reticent about commenting much about the early life.  But one or two things she told me have remained in my memory throughout the years.

                She said when she was a small girl, somewhere around six to eight years of age, she had a sickness which left her with Saint Vitris Dance, and her nervous system was all shaken up so that she suffered severely both physically and spiritually. 
She was unable to control her hands at times and would drop dishes and break them and other mishaps and that she would feel embarrassed when her mother was told about it that she was very much ashamed of herself and very unhappy about it.  Then her sister would make fun of her and say she was a mama’s pet and was only pretending she could not hold the dishes so she could get out of work.  This condition lasted for a few years, until her mother was told she ought to take her to the St. George Temple and have her blessed for her health and be baptized also for the same and have her name placed on the list to be prayed for in the prayer circle.  This her folks did and after spending a few days in St. George, they returned home and she regained her health almost immediately and was never bothered again throughout her life, except a time which will be mentioned later in this this narrative that was at the end of her life.
                One thing Emmer spoke often about that seemed rather outstanding about her trip to St. George was  a stop over for a day in Paragona at one of her mother’s aunts, Aunt Farazina Robinson’s home.  She said when they were at the dinner table and they were all having a good visit while eating she said to her mother, “Mother, you know I sure like to eat dinner at Aunt Farazine’s table,” and her mother said, Why Emmer do you so much like eating at her table?”  Emmer said, “Because she has two large bowls of gravy on the table at once.”
                Emmer grew into a beautiful young woman and was always very popular among her associates because of her happy disposition and her delight in conversation.  This sociable attitude toward everybody made her a friend to all who met her and was the means of making of her one of the most popular of all the young people in town and a very good friend to all young and old.  This party of which I spoke was the place I became acquainted with her and she told me years later that she was one of the main ones of the girls that suggested inviting me to the party.  I had been running with a different crowd of young folks during the time I had been at Panguitch and the girls took a notion to ask me to join their crowd, so accordingly they sent me an invitation to their Halloween party and of course I accepted. 
                When I first saw Emmer I thought what a pretty girl that is and so well-behaved, and I watched her all through the party and when it was out I said to her cousin Not knowing he was her cousin at the time) Well Frank that little black eyed girl that is sociable and nice is the girl I am going to marry someday. “He laughed at me and said well you seem to be a pretty decent guy so I guess I’ll give my consent.  Then I ask him what would I have his consent of and he said because she is my very dearest cousin Emmer.
                From that time forth Frank and I were the dearest friends and were nearly always together and I often asked him to say a good word for me to his cousin Emmer.
                In school that winter Emmer and I were in the same grade, but in different classes, I in the B class and she in the A class in the 8th grade.  We talked and associated together with the same crowd but In ever had the courage to ask her for a date until after school was out in the spring, and one Sunday, Frank and I hooked my team on his little buggy and went for a ride and he said lets go get Emmer and Faye and take them for a little ride with us.  I said well if you think you can get them to go I am game and that was the blow that broke the ice.
                Emmer and I became steadies from that day on and for five years thereafter we never went out to a dance or party, mutual separately but once and that once I took her home from the dance after she had gone alone.  During our 5 years courting days we were close companions and our love for each other grew stronger each time we were together.  She had a job clerking in the stores all that time and I was farming and working with sheep so we were not privileged to be together too often, but we were true to each other.  When I asked her to marry me she said, “I would be proud to marry you dear.”   So we went to Salt Lake and were married in the temple and started a happy life together.
Emily Judd with her husband Francis Henrie

                One year after we were married I worked with sheep for the Panguitch Livestock Co.  And she did not enjoy much but she kept the home fires burning and our first baby boy was born to her that year. Then for two more years I worked with sheep and farmed and our first baby girl was born, she being black-eyed and black-haired duplicate of her mother, so we each aha d duplicate the boy a blond and the girl a brunette.  The next year I was called on a mission t New Zealand and Emmer said to on and do your duty I will get along someway if I have to take in washings and she did for three years although it never came to the washing part.
                I had a little farm which I rented to my brother and with that and hiring a thousand dollars from the bank we got through the mission.
                When I came home we were not satisfied with the small farm in so cold a climate so we sold out and moved to Enterprize and bought 80 acres of the finest land out of doors, but the water supply dried up the second year we were there, so we rented the farm to a neighbor and moved to Delta where we spend the remainder of her life farming.  We had on child born in Enterprize and all the rest of our eleven children were born in Delta.
                We had some good years farming in Delta and we had some lean ones too.  We finally bought a home in Delta and a 40 acre farm a mile out, and we had hopes of making a good life for ourselves and family.  But adversities struck and the bank went broke that held the mortgage on our farm and home, so we lost all that and at the same time Emmer had a stroke and became paralyzed in one side for more than a year.  Then we heard of an osteopath who they claimed could cure her and she was all for taking his treatment.  Although he told us she would not have and better than a 50-50 chance to survive the blood clot was dissolved.  She said lets go, I would rather be dead than to be such a burden on my husband and family.  We took the chance and lost at the end and she died in Salt Lake City on the 12 of January 1928, while under his care.  He told us the sickness she had when she was a young girl was probably the root of her trouble and had lingered on throughout the years although she had not suffered any ill effects during her life it could easy be the cause of her stroke.  A very impressive funeral was held in Delta, on January 15, 1928 and she was buried in the Delta cemetery by the side of the three of her babies that ha d died of premature birth.  Her Children in the order they were born:
Francis Verl July 10, 1910  Panguitch
Hertha March 21, 1912 Panguitch
James Richard March 3, 1914 Panguitch
Minnie  December 31, 191? Enterprize
Aure Judd  November 3, 1918 Sutherland
Keith  July 25, 1920  Sutherland
Nellie May 4, 1921  Sutherland
Lenna February 25, 1922  Sutherland
Thomas A. February 6, 1923  Sutherland
Eldon Dee  April 19, 1925  Delta
Violet  April 19, 1927 Delta

No comments:

Post a Comment